Happy National Oatmeal Cookie Day!
I love to keep this dough in the freezer and treat myself to a bite of cookie dough every once in a while.
Makes 6 dozen
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup toasted wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 sticks butter, softened
1 stick margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat.
2. Stir together the oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Place sugar, butter, and margarine in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium speed until fluffy.
4. Reduce speed to low and slowly add oat-flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chips and cranberries and mix gently with a spatula.
5. Scoop the dough into rounds and place them 1-inch apart on the baking sheet.
6. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until golden and just set. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.